Deal locally, Secure Payments, Deal Face-to-Face - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
- Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen - that amazing "deal" may not exist.
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
AVOID MEETING ALONE. It is best to meet in a public place where there are other people around.
Do it during the day if at all possible. Try to take someone with you.
There is safety in numbers. If you cannot avoid meeting alone, tell someone where you are going and why. Keep your cell phone with you.
Do not map to your address unless there is good reason to do so, such as selling a car or house, having a yard or garage sale, etc.
Don't give thieves a map to high value merchandise. Avoid having buyers come to your home if possible when an item has high value.
The overwhelming majority of Here4Deals users are trustworthy and well-meaning.
With billions of human interactions, the incidence of violent crime related to Here4Deals is extremely low.
Millions of violent crimes occur in the U.S. each year: 10,000+ homicides, 600,000+ robberies, 5 million assaults.
Vanishingly few of these are Here4Deals-related.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, or shopping center, safetradelocation.
Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
Take your cell phone along if you have one.
Consider having a friend accompany you.
Trust your instincts.
Taking these simple precautions helps make Here4Deals safer for everyone.
For more information about personal safety online, check out these resources: